April 10 2018

Health Insurance and Filing Your Taxes

No doubt all of you filed your taxes weeks ago like the thoroughly responsible citizens you are. But since the due date is just a week away, we figured we’d provide a friendly reminder outlining the materials you need to show proof of health insurance for 2017.

As you know, under the ACA most Americans must buy health insurance each year. If you go three full consecutive months without health insurance, you get fined by the IRS.

So, to prove that you had health insurance this past year, the IRS requires you include one of three forms when filing your taxes: 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C. These forms are filled out by your insurance company and then sent to you.

Each of these forms indicates the months you had health insurance coverage:

  • 1095-A: You’ll use this form if you bought your health plan through Connect for Health Colorado. Connect for Health Colorado should have sent this form to you directly in the mail.
  • 1095-B: You’ll use this form if you bought your health plan directly from us. You’ll also use this form if you are part of a small group. If you haven’t received this form in the mail, please reach out to our customer service team. This should have been mailed to you.
  • 1095-C: You’ll use this form if work for a Qualified Large Employer and you get health insurance through your job. Please coordinate with your employer if you haven’t received this yet.

As always, if you have any questions about your plan, benefits, or services, please call our Colorado-based customer service team: 800-475-8466

We’re also happy to answer your questions over email. Drop us a line at: custsrv@fridayhealthplans.com

go back